Friday, December 30, 2011


 12/23/2011
"While there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humour." -- Charles Dickens, author from "A Christmas Carol," 1846

Several years ago, my wife shared a Christmas tradition with me. We set a place at our table for those we've loved who have gone to God.

Jews and Christians share a belief in everlasting life. My Jewish friends celebrate Hanukkah as a tribute to divine providence. As Christians, Christmas marks the dawn of our spiritual salvation.

Imagining loved ones who sit in that chair, I do not see them in time of pain, suffering or strife. I fondly recall them as they were when we shared the season's joy of Christmases past.

Whether it is in a favorite ornament, a sacred hymn, a mealtime prayer, or an old family dish, the joy they shared this time of year brings me warm albeit misty smiles.

We miss them because they taught us joy, we remember them best as they once smiled.

From the Holly Family to yours.... Haneirot Halolu, Merry Christmas.

No comments: