Thursday, February 23, 2012

Tippin' My Hat- Because I Can

I've lived a lot of places and done a lot of things. But only close family and old friends from the 70s, 80s and 90s know much about my cowboy period.

Fact is, even though  I am from Cleveland, I am Houston Proud. For nearly 20 years, every February I lived for rodeo time.  It wasn't really about jeans, or hats, or boots or buckles, it was about fun, history and tradition.

Over the years, I learned to ride, rope, cut cattle and even had a few experiences with branding and making steers. I still miss Texas every day.

Even though the times were different I made a lot of good friends there. We worked and played together, drank a lot of longnecks and boosted bourbon  to Willie, Waylon, Johnny Cash, Al Downing, O.C. Smith  and Charlie Pride. We bought auction cattle and livestock pens in the Super sales Sales Salon and laughed at city folks whose boots were so new they didn't crease.

I've been in Washington now for nearly as long as I was in Houston. Yet, in February, I still think about trailrides, mesquite smoked barbecue, morning coffee sweetened with a winter's morning rain, and tight jeans, cowboy hats and pickup trucks.

So, for all my Go-Texan Committee friends: Andy Hudack, Clint Wright, Chuck Wolf, Joe Ladd, Bill Bailey, Pam Ivey and all the rest. When the barbecue judging starts and the carnival kicks off, or the riders form up for a quick cantor up South Main, remember you know one real cowboy in the nation's capital who still wants to play.

It's February in the Bayou City and this ain't no Mardis Gras, this is the the biggest show this side of the Calgary Stampede.... It's time, Let's Rodeo!

1 comment:

Sinclairius said...

That was a nice write up, cow poke. LOL just kidding. My best friend lives North of ATL, owns a bunch of Tennessee Walkers and hunting dogs. He has a day job, but hunts every day of every season. Self-taught vetrenarian. Gardener. Heckuva guy - and he's Black. I think you guys are the last generation. And BTW + great description of your blog.